Welcome back the Hunt Gather Talk podcast, Season Two, sponsored by Filson and Hunt to Eat. This season will focus entirely on upland game — not only upland birds but also small game. Think of this as the podcast behind my latest cookbook, Pheasant, Quail, Cottontail, which covers all things upland.
Every episode will dig deep into the life, habits, hunting, lore, myth and of course prepping and cooking of a particular animal. Expect episodes on pheasants, rabbits, every species of quail, every species of grouse, wild turkeys, rails, woodcock, pigeons and doves, chukars and huns.
In this episode, I talk with Oklahoma State University Professor Dwayne Elmore, one of the nation’s foremost quail biologists (and lifelong hunter) about bobwhite quail.
I am super excited about this episode. I wanted to find an especially knowledgeable and dynamic guest for such an important game bird, and I found one in Dwayne.
For more information on these topics, here are some helpful links:
- Here’s a link to the app Elmore has created that lets anyone report a brood of upland gamebirds.
- My go-to recipe for quail is buttermilk fried quail.
- Hard to beat Southern red-eye gravy with any sort of quail.
- Some tips and tricks on how to pluck upland gamebirds.
- Cool information about bobwhite quail biology.
- If you hunt quail, you might want to consider joining Quail Forever. I am a Life Member.
- I have several more recipes for snipe in my book Pheasant, Quail, Cottontail. You can buy a signed copy of that book here.
I am bringing back Hunt Gather Talk with the hopes that your generosity can help keep it going season after season. Think of this like public radio, only with hunting and fishing and wild food and stuff. No, this won’t be a “pay-to-play” podcast, so you don’t necessarily have to chip in. But I am asking you to consider it. Every little bit helps to pay for editing, servers, and, frankly to keep the lights on here. Thanks in advance for whatever you can contribute!