Welcome back the Hunt Gather Talk podcast, Season Two, sponsored by Hunt to Eat and Filson. This season will focus entirely on upland game — not only upland birds but also small game. Think of this as the podcast behind my latest cookbook, Pheasant, Quail, Cottontail, which covers all things upland.
Every episode will dig deep into the life, habits, hunting, lore, myth and of course prepping and cooking of a particular animal. Expect episodes on pheasants, rabbits, every species of quail, every species of grouse, wild turkeys, rails, woodcock, pigeons and doves, chukars and huns.
In this episode, I talk with Marilyn Vetter, a board member of Pheasants Forever and the North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association, and lifelong hunter, about the grouse of her home in the Great Plains — the prairie chicken and the sharp-tailed grouse.
Both of us love, love, love hunting these birds, which are symbols of the Great Plains.
For more information on these topics, here are some helpful links:
- Marilyn’s dog breeding operation, Sharp Shooter’s Kennel.
- If you hunt Great Plains grouse, consider joining the North American Grouse Partnership, which works to preserve and maintain habitat for these birds.
- Cool information about the biology of the prairie chicken, and the sharp-tailed grouse.
- More from me on hunting sharp-tailed grouse and prairie chickens.
- A recipe for roast prairie chicken or sharp-tailed grouse.
- A recipe for sharp-tailed grouse stew.
- A recipe for sharp-tailed grouse, prairie style.
I am bringing back Hunt Gather Talk with the hopes that your generosity can help keep it going season after season. Think of this like public radio, only with hunting and fishing and wild food and stuff. No, this won’t be a “pay-to-play” podcast, so you don’t necessarily have to chip in. But I am asking you to consider it. Every little bit helps to pay for editing, servers, and, frankly to keep the lights on here. Thanks in advance for whatever you can contribute!