Book Tour 2016 – 2017
As old old song goes, I’m on the road again come this fall, and on into winter and early 2017.
My new cookbook, Buck, Buck, Moose: Recipes and Techniques for Cooking Deer, Elk, Moose, Antelope and Other Antlered Things, comes out on September 1 — but if you preorder it now, chances are you will get it a few days before then.
As with my previous books, I have an extensive book tour planned to help spread the word about the book. Click on the map below and you can scroll around and see where I will be.
Many of the events are works in progress, but places and dates are firm through Christmas.
It is an ambitious schedule, and it will be taxing both on my car — I will be driving through most of the West — and on me. I’ve done long stints on the road before, and they are both exhilarating and enervating.
Why do it? Because of you. Five years ago, when Hunt, Gather, Cook came out — God, has is been five years already?! — I started with a modest tour schedule. Then I heard from you, over and over again, asking me to come to your city.
I threw down the gauntlet: I’ll come if you think you can help me sell a few dozen books. You picked up that gauntlet, and again and again, showed me the kind of hospitality and generosity that still gets me a little teary-eyed, even now. That tour was a highlight of my life.
I did it again with Duck, Duck, Goose, and again, it was an amazing experience. So when it came time to plan this tour, there was no question: I had to do it again.
Anchoring most of the stops on the tour will be a venison-themed book dinner at a local restaurant: some trendy, some obscure, award-winners and unsung culinary heroes all. My hope, my goal, is to meet you at these dinners. To pack the house both for the restaurant’s sake — I make no money from the dinner itself — and yes, to sell as many copies of my book as I can.
This is my tour, not one set up by a publisher, and it’s on my own dime. But for me it’s worth every penny to meet all of you in person. Whenever that happens, I learn as much from you as you from me.
In many places, such as Wisconsin, Washington state, New York, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Oregon and of course California and Texas, I am planning several events, and at least one of these will be cheap or free. After all, not everyone can afford a $60-a-head dinner, no matter how awesome. I get that.
No matter what the event, I need your help to make this tour a success. The goal is to sell at least 35 or so books at each event; if you can’t make it yourself, maybe you know someone who might? Here’s what the tour looks like now:
TRIP ONE – THE WEST
September 1 – Book signing in San Francisco at Omnivore Books. Starts 6:30 pm. FREE September 2 – Demo and Book Signing in San Francisco at the Filson store. RSVP here. Starts at 5 pm. FREE September 3 – Beer, Burgers and Books in West Sacramento at Yolo Brewing Company. We’re brewing a special beer just for this party, and there will be bison burgers, too. Details here. Starts at 4 pm. September 7 – Venison tacos in Roseville at Nixtaco. Details here. Starts 5:30 pm. September 9 – Book Dinner in Bend, OR at Drake. Details here. September 10 – Book signing and Demo in Portland at the Filson Store. You can RSVP here. Starts at 2 pm. FREE September 11 – Butchery demonstration and class in Portland at the Portland Meat Collective. SOLD OUT September 12 – Book Party in Portland at Elder Hall. Details and reservations here. Starts at 6:30 pm. Only 20 seats left! September 13 – Book Dinner and Presentation on How to Get the Most from Your Venison and book signing in Longview, WA at the Hop-n-Grape Smokehouse Pub. September 14 – Cooking Demo and Book signing in Seattle at the Book Larder. Details and RSVP here. Starts 6:30 pm. September 15 – Book Dinner in Bellingham, WA at Ciao Thyme. Details here. Starts 6 pm. September 16 – Book signing and Demo in Seattle at the Filson Store. You can RSVP here. Starts at 6 pm. FREE September 17 – Book Dinner in Seattle at Il Corvo. Tickets available HERE SOLD OUT September 21 – Presentation on How to Get the Most from Your Venison and book signing in Boise at the Boise Public Library. Starts 7 pm. FREE September 22 – Beer & Books in Boise at Edge Brewing. Come in, drink some beer and get a book! September 23 – Book Dinner in Jackson Hole, WY at The Rose. Two options: $45 for light fare, drinks and a copy of the book, or $100 for that plus a very special, wild foods dinner (only 28 seats available for this option.) Call 307/733-1500 to RSVP. September 25 – Book Dinner in Red Lodge, MT at the Ox Pasture. Details here. Cost $75 includes wine and tip. SOLD OUT September 27 – Book Dinner in Denver at Old Major. Cost is $80 and includes a signed copy of Buck Buck Moose. Reservations here. September 28 – Demo and Book Dinner in Boulder at Blackbelly Butcher. Reservations here. This is an all-in event: Butchering demo at the shop, followed by a multi-course dinner served by Top Chef Hosea Rosenberg AND a signed copy of the book AND tax and tip. $125. September 29 – Book Dinner in Colorado Springs at Till. Family style, farm-to-table meal focusing on cool wild ingredients from Colorado. $65 and that includes a signed copy of the book. October 1 – Book Signing in Salt Lake City at King’s English Bookshop. Starts 2 pm.
TRIP TWO – BIG TEN COUNTRY
October 5 – Book Dinner in Chicago at Perennial Virant. Tickets are $100, and that includes 4 courses WITH wine pairings, PLUS tax and tip. CALL 312/254-7070 to make a reservation. October 6 – Book Dinner in Milwaukee at Dan Dan. Traditional Chinese restaurant style dinner — passed plates — for $50; copies of the book are $25. Make your reservation by calling DanDan at 414.488.8036 or make a reservation HERE. DINNER SOLD OUT October 7 – Book and Beer Dinner in Cedarburg, WI at the Fermentorium. 7 pm start. There will be several wild beers on tap, and a special dinner option, too. $65 for the whole package, $40 for beers and the book. Reserve your spot HERE. October 9 – Book Dinner in Madison at Forequarter. Make your reservation HERE. Only 20 seats left! October 11 – Book Dinner in St Paul at Heartland. Tickets are $100, but that gets you not only dinner, but a signed copy of both Buck Buck Moose AND Chef Lenny Russo’s new book Heartland. This dinner will sell out, so call 651 699 3536 to reserve your spot! ONLY 15 seats left!!! October 12 – Beer and Deer in Minneapolis at Fulton Brewing. Event is free, but we’ll have great beer, I’ll have copies of Buck Buck Moose to sign AND there could be a very special guest food truck: My friend Sean Sherman, the Sioux Chef! His Tatanka Truck will be serving wild, indigenous-inspired foods. STOKED. Just show up! No reservation needed. October 15 – Book Dinner in Buffalo at Black Sheep. Reservations here. DINNER SOLD OUT. BUT… earlier that day I will be signing books at Talking Leaves Books, 951 Elmwood Ave.
- October 16 – Book Dinner in Pittsburgh at Eleven. Cost $100, five courses including wine pairings. Call 412.201.5656 for reservations.
- October 18 in Cleveland at the Butcher & the Brewer. Details and reservations HERE.
- October 19 – Book Dinner in Okemos, MI at Red Haven. Four courses of wild-inspired food for $50. Another $25 gets you a copy of Buck Buck Moose. Call (517) 679-6309 to reserve your spot. ONLY 20 seats left!
- October 20 – Book Dinner in Imlay City, MI at Mulefoot Gastropub. Cost: $80 gets you a 4 course dinner AND a copy of Buck Buck Moose. Call (810) 721-1019 for reservations.
- October 22 – Book Dinner in Grand Rapids at Founders Brewery. DINNER has only 4 seats left. But, come earlier in the day to the Founder’s store on site and you can get just the book for $25.
TRIP THREE – BIG 12 COUNTRY
- October 24 – Book signing and wild-inspired food in Oklahoma City at R&J Lounge
- October 25 – Book Dinner in Oklahoma City at Ludivine. Cost is $80, and includes a signed copy of Buck Buck Moose. Make your reservation here.
- October 27 – Book Dinner in Des Moines at Proof. Proof is a James Beard nominated restaurant, and this is the first event in Iowa I’ve ever done. Hoping it’s a great one! Cost for the dinner is $75 and includes a copy of Buck Buck Moose. More details and reservation information here.
- November 7 – Book Dinner in Austin at Dai Due. Five courses, plus a signed copy of the book, including tax and tip: $130. Make your Reservation here. ONLY 12 SEATS LEFT.
- November 9 – Book Dinner in San Antonio at Cured
TRIP FOUR – THE NORTHEAST
- November 15 – Book Signing in New York City at the Beretta Gallery
- November 16 – Book Dinner in Somerville, MA at Kirkland Tap & Trotter
- December 2 – Book Dinner in Washington DC at Bar Civita
- December 3 – Presentation on How to Get the Most from Your Venison and book signing in Chestertown, MD at Washington College
- December 4 – Book Dinner in Rehoboth Beach, DE at Dogfish Head Brewery.
- December 5 – Book Dinner in Frederick, MD at Volt
- December 7 – Book Dinner in Philadelphia at Brauhaus Schmitz
TRIP FIVE – MISSOURI
- December 10 – Book Dinner in Cape Girardeau, MO at Celebrations. SOLD OUT
- December 11 in St. Louis – Companion Bakery
- December 12 – Presentation on How to Get the Most from Your Venison and book signing in Kansas City at the Gorman Discovery Center
TRIP SIX – BACK HOME
- December 16 – Book Signing in Davis at The Avid Reader
- December 17 – Book Signing in Petaluma at Copperfield’s Books
- December 18 – Grande Finale Book Dinner in Sacramento at Grange
Once we get to 2017, I plan on events in the following cities:
- Little Rock, AR
- Santa Fe, NM
- Fargo, ND
- Birmingham, AL
- Oxford, MS
- Raleigh, NC
Many of these events are a work in progress. In some cases, I am still hammering out details and will announce venues and events as they firm up.
But for the most part, you should be able to reserve seats already for the September and October events, even though details and costs of the dinners are TBD — I will plug them in on this post, as well as here on Facebook, as soon as I get those details.
Either I or a local bookstore will be selling copies of Buck Buck Moose at every event, and I will also have a limited number of copies of my earlier books, as well as Buck Buck Moose and Hunter Angler Gardener Cook t-shirts and hoodies for sale at the events, too. You can get a look at some of the styles here.
Once I am on the road, you can follow my travels in any one (or more) of several ways:
I am getting really stoked about this tour. There will be a ton of amazing venison to be eaten, adventures to be had, old friends to see again and new ones to meet for the first time.
Are you with me?