Fried Red Snapper Bites
Even though I call this fried snapper bites, it can be done with any firm. white fish. You do want the chunks you fry to be at least the width of a finger, and even twice that, so use that as a guideline. I like the New Orleans remoulade with this, but you can use any sauce you like.
Servings: 4 people
- 1/2 cup Dijon or Creole mustard
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons minced shallot
- 3 tablespoons minced celery
- 1/4 cup minced dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Creole or Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 pounds skinless snapper fillets
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard (Dijon is fine)
- 1 tablespoon Creole or Cajun seasoning
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream or half and half
- 1 sleeve Saltines crackers
- Peanut oil for frying
Mix all the ingredients for the remoulade together and set aside. The remoulade can be made up to a week in advance, and making it the night before lets the flavors mellow.
Cut the fish into chunks of about two bites each. Salt lightly. Mix together in a bowl the eggs, mustard, Creole seasoning and heavy cream.
Pour enough peanut oil hot into a frying pan to come about a half-inch up the sides. Heat this to about 350F.
While the oil is heating, dunk as many snapper bites in the egg wash as will fit. When the oil is hot, dredge the fish in the mashed Saltines. You can do this in a bowl or in a plastic bag. Really press in the Saltines, and it's OK to have a few bits that aren't pulverized.
Fry the fish until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels and serve with the remoulade, and some lemon wedges if you have them.
Calories: 486kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 53g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 178mg | Sodium: 950mg | Potassium: 1185mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1825IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 142mg | Iron: 2.3mg