Vietnamese Smoked Fish Salad
This dish doesn't exist in Vietnam, so far as I can tell, but it definitely has the flavors we all look for in that fantastic cuisine. Sweet, sour, salty, meaty, and spicy... and to this I add smoky. Any sort of flaked fish, smoked or not, will work here.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time0 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 4 people
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablesoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced and mashed
- 1 tablespoon sambal chile sauce, or 1-2 small hot chiles, minced
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1 pound flaked fish (ideally smoked)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded on a grater
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup roasted peanuts
- 3 to 6 green onions, sliced thin
- 20 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 to 3 serrano or jalapeno chiles, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
Make the dressing by mixing all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. If you'd like, you can puree it all in a blender. The dressing will keep for a week or so in the fridge.
Mix the salad ingredients in a large bowl and add dressing to taste. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.
Calories: 391kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 120mg | Sodium: 1074mg | Potassium: 875mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 3265IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 2mg