Pork Stir Fry with Asparagus
This is a really easy, very basic Chinese style stir fry. If you remember the basic method, you can stir fry any lean, boneless meat along with any seasonal vegetable. The marinade, the Chinese "trinity" of garlic, ginger and green onions and the sesame oil never change. If you don't like chiles, leave them out. Note this is not a "saucy" Chinese stir fry. If you want a saucier dish, double the marinade.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 pound pork or wild pig loin, sliced into thin strips
- 3 teaspoons corn or potato starch
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine or sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil, lard or vegetable oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 to 3 small dried hot chiles, crumbled
- A 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 to 5 green onions, sliced on the diagonal into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound of asparagus, sliced on the diagonal into bite-sized pieces
- Sesame oil to garnish
Slice the pork into slivers and mix it well with the marinade: The starch, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, salt, sugar and sesame oil. Let this marinate on the counter while you cut all the vegetables, or abou 20 minutes or so.
Heat a wok or large saute pan over high heat on your hottest burner for a minute or two. Add the peanut oil or lard and swirl it around. When it starts to smoke, add the minced garlic and ginger, as well as the crushed chiles. Stir fry this for 30 seconds.
Add the pork and any marinade in the bowl and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes, until the pork or wild pig turns opaque. Add the asparagus and green onions and stir fry 2 minutes, or until you begin to see some liquid start to form in the bottom of the wok. Don't cook for more than another 3 minutes or the pork will be overcooked. Turn off the heat and drizzle the sesame oil over everything. Serve with rice.
Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 29g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 519mg | Potassium: 702mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 980IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 43mg | Iron: 3mg