This is a variation on my Venison Barbacoa recipe, and you can feel free to tinker with it as you see fit. Use the shredded meat in tacos, burritos, over rice or in tamales. It will keep in the fridge a week and it freezes well.
Servings: 6 people
- 2 to 3 pounds jackrabbit or hare pieces
- 1 pint crushed or pureed tomatoes
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 large white onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, Mexican if possible
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chiles (or chili powder)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon vinegar, any kind
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil
Put all the ingredients except the lard into a large, heavy lidded pot like a Dutch oven. Bring it to a bare simmer, cover and cook gently for 2 to 5 hours, depending on how old your jackrabbits were.
When the meat is falling off the bone, pull it out of the pot and shred it into a large bowl. Discard the bones.
Add the lard and a ladle of the cooking liquid to the meat and mix it all well. Serve hot on tacos, in burritos, or whatever. If you want, you can also lay the meat all out in a large frying pan and sear it crispy on one side, then serve it.