I wanted to come up with a fun salad to highlight the first really successful beet harvest I’ve ever had, and I knew that beets go well with salty cheese. I love Greek feta cheese, so I decided to use it in this salad.
Another thing I know goes really well with beets is the herb lovage. It is a strong herb, a little like a cross between parsley and celery. For some reason beets can stand up to it. If you can’t find lovage, use the tops from a bunch of celery, or some flat-leafed parsley
- 8 Chiogga beets (or some other variety)
- 4-6 ounces of feta cheese, crumbled
- 1-2 tablespoons of lovage
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of a lemon
- Black pepper
- Boil the beets in salty water for 30-40 minutes, until they are tender. Peel and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss the beets with some olive oil while they are still warm.
- Add the remaining ingredients — except the salt — and toss gently to combine. If you are using dark beets, however, toss everything EXCEPT the beets together in a bowl, and then add the beets right before you serve this salad, folding them in gently at the end; this minimizes bleeding and makes your salad look better.
- Taste the salad. It should not need extra salt, but add some if you want to. Serve at room temperature.